Within the Payroll section of Avionté, company-provided benefits (employer contributions) can be set up for an employee. Items that appear as contributions in this section must first be setup and defined as contributions in the Transaction Type section of Admin Tools.
Set Up an Employee Payroll Contribution
- In the Employee section, search for and select the employee for which you are setting up contributions.
- Expand the Payroll option in the Employee sub-menu and select the Contribution option.
- Click the New Contribution link in the upper-left portion of the Contribution tab to clear the fields for new data entry.
- Click the Type dropdown and select the contribution type from the list.
- For Amount/Percentage, choose one of the following options:
Option Description Fixed Amount Choose this when a fixed dollar amount is contributed by the employer, then enter that amount in the Amount field. Percentage Choose this when a percentage contribution amount is to be used. When this option is selected, additional options appear to indicate whether the percentage is applied to Gross pay or Net pay. Enter the percentage to apply in the Percent field.
- Check the Flag During Payroll checkbox if the benefit should be flagged during payroll processing. Then when the payroll batch is processed, a warning will appear for this employee, allowing you to verify, and if needed, modify the benefit.
- The Active checkbox (checked by default), when checked, makes the contribution immediately active for the employee once the contribution is saved. If the contribution is made inactive, then the contribution is not included in calculating payroll for the employee.
- In the Limits options, enter amounts as needed:
Option Description Pay Period Limit The maximum amount that can be contributed to the employee for this contribution. This may be useful when a percentage value is entered for the benefit, but there are regulations around the total benefit amounts that can be provided per employee. Yearly Limit The maximum amount that an employer can contribute to this employee in a yearly cycle. Life Time Limit The maximum amount that an employer can contribute to this employee throughout their lifetime.
- In the Date options, enter dates as follows:
Option Description Start Date Enter the date that the contribution is to become effective by entering the date in MM/DD/YYYY format or by clicking the down arrow and selecting the date from the calendar. End Date Enter the date the contribution is to end. Typically, this would apply in the case where an insurance benefit is offered on an annual basis, thus this date would indicate the final day the current policy is effective. If the benefit is open ended, then leave this field blank.
- In the Authority Info options, enter the following if applicable:
Option Description Agency Enter the name directly related to the benefit, such as insurance company or 401K provider. Reference Number Enter the number associated to the employee's benefit account.
- Click Save Contribution when finished entering contribution information.
Note: If the contribution created is based on a transaction type that also has a deduction defined to it, a red icon will appear to the left of the contribution in the grid. This indicates that a deduction also needs to be set up. An example of this is where an employee has money deducted for 401K (deduction) and the employer contributes matching funds (contribution) towards that 401K.